[semi-OT] clearing out closet of old linux machines

From: Clay Scott <rudeboy@gci.net>
Date: Thu Aug 30 2007 - 20:08:57 AKDT

i'm in the midst of clearing out half of a closet that's filled with cases that used to be linux boxes and i'd really like to find these a new home rather than scrap them. there are three to choose from.

(1) SuperMicro full tower case with a SuperMicro P6-DBU dual cpu Slot-1 motherboard. On-board SCSI and raid and includes a single Slot-1 Penitum2 450mhz cpu, Diamond Stealth PCI video card and an SMC EtherPower 10/100 ethernet card and Yamaha 4x4x16 cd-r.

(2) SuperMicro full tower case in original shipping box with a Gigabyte GA-7IXE Slot-A motherboard, floppy drive and PSU. I have some Slot-A CPUs still that i used in this machine. Whoever wants this machine can have all three. One is a k7-800mhz with stock heatsink, one is a k7-900mhz with a fancy gold after market heatsink and the third is, if memory serves, another 900mhz Slot-A athlon with the slot housing removed to expose the "golden fingers". I've managed to keep the "golden fingers" adapter with it which is a little board with dip switches to control overclocking the processor. This model was easily overclocked to well over 1GHz back when that was a real feat. Also comes with a rather large Alpha heatsink and quite dual fans.

(3) The first computer i bought for myself an HP Vectra XU dual Pentium Pro 333mhz system. Pentium Pros topped out at 200Mhz, but due to the vast numbers of aging Pentium Pro machines out there Intel released the Pentium2 Overdrive Processor effectively allowing PPro machines to run at 333mhz. I, of course, snatched up a pair of these. System also has an Orchid Righteous 3D PCI graphics card w/ separate 2D video card, 10/100 NIC, floppy, cd-rom, 160MB of ECC ram and a pair of Seagate Baracuda ST19171N 9.1GB SCSI hard drives.

all are up for grabs. i'm selling a lot of stuff on ebay right now, but these are too heavy to bother going that route with. if anyone is interested let me know. i'll trade the first two for an 8-pack of guinness each. i'm currently trying to pay for my kegerator project so no reasonable offer on the HP will be refused (will also entertain offers of delicious guinness).

i can deliver anywhere in anchorage or i can bring them to a friday meeting. please reply off list...

~clay