Re: My never ending project

From: Royce Williams <royce@alaska.net>
Date: Mon Aug 13 2007 - 07:56:06 AKDT

I like the new name, John.

My suggestions are non-technical -- more about presentation. Off of
the top of my head, I'd lead off the 'What is' paragraph more strongly
about the project's purpose in the first sentence, and leave the
open-source description to a second paragraph.

As someone who knows nothing about your project, I'm not positive, but
if it's really to do with Ham radio, you might mention that in the
introduction. :)

Something like:

"The Outernet Project is a turnkey set of software to make familiar
Internet services (such as file transfer, instant messaging, and
bulletin boards) available over [wireless? Ham radio?]."

"The software components are entirely open source and run on the Linux
operating system. Basing this project on open source means that the
software will always be both free and freely available. Running the
project itself however does cost money for domain name registration,
the dynamic DNS service, and internet access for the jabber gateway
server. "

etc.

You might also consider making the software collection's name
different from the project that is working on it (e.g., The "FreeBSD
Project" is a project to create "FreeBSD").

Royce

John Phelps wrote, on 8/13/2007 7:29 AM:
> Again I am posting for comments on the web page explaining my Linux / Ham
> radio project.
> Please let me know if anything is confusing in the explanations or if
> anything is displaying incorrectly. Also feel free to ask about the project
> itself and mabey offer to help, or at least beta-test.
> If anyone was following the development of this and noticed that all
> activity on it abruptly stopped, it did. My wife has had heart problems for
> the last few months which were recently found to be minor and very simple to
> fix with todays technology. It is simply a nerve that is improperly firing
> in the heart, which symptoms initially made it appear to be much worse than
> it is.
>
> The HSMMnet project is now called 'The Outernet Project' thanks to the
> newfound availability of the Outernet.cc <http://www.outernet.cc> domain
> name. I feel the new name (besides being pronounceable) is a better fit for
> the main idea of the project: internet services outside of the wires. I will
> soon be revamping the install disk with the new name and posting it online
> for people to try out. Attached is the installer splash-screen with the logo
> and project name. I hope you like.
>
> Thanks to all for your help and patience,
> John

> -- Type: image/jpeg
> -- File: outernet-splash.jpeg

Royce D. Williams                                  IP Engineering, ACS
http://www.tycho.org/royce/                   - PGP: 3FC087DB/1776A531
I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have.-Jefferson