Re: What's Next?

From: Robbie Soares <akdrums@alaska.net>
Date: Sat Jul 21 2007 - 13:24:17 AKDT

Mike:

You have some very good points in your message. There are many people at
different levels of expertise already participating on the list and in the
meetings. I have to admit as of late I have been watching from the
sidelines. I have been monitoring the list but have not participated. I
haven't even been running Linux lately (lack of motivation on my part).

The general public is interested in something that they can install and run
with very little knowledge of the underlying programming. They want, and
need, something that boots up in a GUI and is intuitive to use. The price
of Linux is especially attractive to many people. It has been pointed out
that a very large number of computer users utilize only a few applications
and all of those types of software are readily available for the Linux OS,
most free of charge. There are so many choices of distros out there that
people are overwhelmed. With Windows, you get one choice, with certain
sub-distros available (i.e. XP pro, XP home.).

It would be a great thing to have various levels of expertise available to
the general public. They could tap the resources as needed. I think in
many ways that is being done now. The people that are building kernels from
scratch don't have to feel obligated to answer menial questions all the
time.

Another thing that could really help the AKLUG cause is to utilize the
Public Service Announcement system on the radio and television stations.
Since this is a not-for-profit organization, we could use that service to
advertise install fests and meetings if we are truly interested in growing
the Linux presence in the Anchorage area.

My two cents worth,

Robbie