RE: Does anyone even run Xandros?

From: Stephen King <sking@chartercollege.edu>
Date: Tue Jun 05 2007 - 12:14:29 AKDT

Yes, someone does. Back in the days when I thought I wanted to be an =
independent contractor, I let a friend/client talk me into installing it =
on her workstation. I've tried several times since to talk her into =
using something...anything...else, but she's got inertia on that system =
now. Hopefully it's the only system in Alaska that runs Xandros.
=20
My (short and snarky) review: It's buggy, it hides a lot of stuff (like =
auto-mount points) in non-standard areas of the directory structure that =
don't really exist, and the tech support isn't anywhere near as good as =
they claim to be. Her workstation was down for weeks recently because =
the kernel had intermittent conflicts with the motherboard video =
chipset, causing the screen to lock up with pretty little vertical =
stripes every so often, a few times a day. I diagnosed it fairly =
quickly, but couldn't fix it myself. Thus ensued a several week long =
back and forth e-mail session. Finally, after getting a lawyer (well, =
that's not that big a deal...her boss is a lawyer) to dicker around with =
them for a few days, they sent an updated version that fixed the =
problem. But the bantering that happened between diagnosis and fix =
disgusted me. =20
=20
Stephen