Re: bash is Bashed!

From: Kevin Miller <atftb2@alaska.net>
Date: Tue May 15 2007 - 07:14:25 AKDT

Fielder George Dowding wrote:
> I have run into a strange situation (my workstation at the Mabel T.
> Caverly Senior Center) where bash does not act like, well, bash. Here
> are the symptoms:
>
> Type "set" to see all the environmental variables.
> 1. Regular user: a bash script scrolls ???
> 2. Root: the environmental variables are printed to screen.
> 3. Regular user after typing "sh" to get the old Borne Shell, normal
> results a number 2, above.
>
> I suspect there is a mis-configured something somewhere. Can anyone help?

SUSE's always done that (well, at least as long as I've used it.) I
just tried on a Debian box and their script is even longer. But if you
do a:
        set | more
you'll see the normal variables at the beginning. Not sure what the
script is doing but it's 'normal', i.e., part of the stock install I
believe...

...Kevin

--
Kevin Miller