Re: could someone please help?

From: Arthur Corliss <acorliss@nevaeh-linux.org>
Date: Thu Mar 29 2007 - 22:41:12 AKDT

On Thu, 29 Mar 2007, Shane Spencer wrote:

> Check to see if DPMS is turned on:
>
> sspencer@sspencer-p670:~$ xdpyinfo | grep DPMS
> DPMS
>
> It returned a result so thats good, dpms is functioning.
>
> Make sure the screen saver is running:
>
> sspencer@sspencer-p670:~$ ps x | grep screensaver
> 6076 ? Ss 0:00 gnome-screensaver
> 6748 pts/3 S+ 0:00 grep screensaver
>
> yay, its running.
>
> Let us know what the results are, including if you have it set to
> blank/lock/and after how many minutes.. what screensaver program and
> what desktop setup you are using.

There's also an old utility called xautolock that I still use. It'll start
your screen saver after a defined inactivity period (I use xlockmore) and
you can set a corner activation point. Park the cursor and a few seconds
later your display is locked.

On the DPMS issue, if you do have support activated, you can alter the
settings via the xset command. Like the screen saver, you can put all of
this in your .xinitrc (if you start X manually) or .xsession (if you're
running with xdm) to make your changes permanent.

         --Arthur Corliss
           Live Free or Die