erase hardrive

From: terrance thomascik <tthomascik@alaskalife.net>
Date: Thu Mar 29 2007 - 12:27:44 AKDT

For fun -

What's and where can I get a program to clean a hardrive to prep for linux.
These are old computers from a friends business. 10 gig hardrives.I'll be
looking inside at the Friday meeting to see if anything is worth doing.

Personal issue -

I installed (toshiba laptop ) suse 10.2 next to my suse 9.3 and can no longer
get my suse 9.3. to load at all. The toshiba has a win modem so I use a 3
com modem for dialup. worked great.

Suse 10.2 may not ( 3 com ) support it, it recognized it not as a modem but
as a ethernet card instead. How can I get it to recognize it in the proper
place if possible. If I can't solve that, then I need to go to another
distro.

I cleaned the hardrive by rescue disk for windows xp. So now I have to change
the boot process to let my cd/dvd drive boot 1st. Presently it goes to hard
disk. I'll keep xp only for scanner activities and misc issues.

I have Gparted on a distro. I'd like to install suse 10.2 or madriva 2007 or
kubuntu 5.10

I read in the suse 10.0 bible that suse dropped some of the supported modems
because of licensing. What worked on 10.0 may not work on 10.1 and so on.

Friday meeting -

pizza or cheese cake ( costco )

Terry T