Re: bad device?

From: Lee Ross <leeross@gci.net>
Date: Sun Mar 25 2007 - 21:42:08 AKDT

On Sun, 25 Mar 2007 14:20:26 -0900, Arthur Corliss
<acorliss@nevaeh-linux.org> wrote:

> On Sun, 25 Mar 2007, Lee Ross wrote:
>
>> I think this is my network card. How do I find out for sure before
>> purchasing a new card? I can't send or receive email and I cannot browse
>> the internet. I tried bypassing my router but that didn't change
>> anything.
>>

>> leeross@kelvin:~$ opera
>> ERROR: ld.so: object 'libjvm.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded:
>> ignored.
>> ERROR: ld.so: object 'libawt.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded:
>> ignored.
>> X Error: BadDevice, invalid or uninitialized input device 166
>> Major opcode: 144
>> Minor opcode: 3
>> Resource id: 0x0
>> Failed to open device
>> X Error: BadDevice, invalid or uninitialized input device 166
>> Major opcode: 144
>> Minor opcode: 3
>> Resource id: 0x0
>> Failed to open device
>> opera: Activated running instance
>
> Standard network clients don't open a NIC directly, so those errors have
> nothing to do with your NIC (which doesn't mean your network is working
> correctly, of course). X errors like that are caused by an inability to
> grab a device listed as an InputDevice in your X configuration,
> typically a
> mouse or keyboard.
>
> You might want to run "X -configure" and compare that to your current
> xorg.conf from outside of X. After backing up your current
> configuration, of course.
>
> If you don't have network connectivity you might want to look at whether
> or
> not your system is configured to run a DHCP client or should be using a
> static assignment. You also might want to see if your system even
> recognizes that it has your current NIC by examining dmesg output, etc.
>
> A few tips to check your network configuration:
>
> ifconfig -a # does eth0 have a valid IP address and is up & running?
> netstat -rn # do you have a default gateway set?
> cat /etc/resolv.conf # do you have valid DNS servers configured?
>
> If all that looks good, see if you can ping your gateway, DNS servers,
> etc.
>
> --Arthur Corliss
> Live Free or Die

Arthur,

First of all I want to thank you for the perfect help that solved my
problem. Your explanation of how the system works is invaluable and makes
the rest of the resolution make sense to a semi-newbie such as myself. I
know just enough to get myself into trouble but not necessarily get out of
it.

By the way, I made a mistake configuring the nic card. I did not have DHCP
selected. It was selected by default but with my playing around with the
system, I set it to static. (a feeble attempt at networking my printer)

Thanks again,

--
Lee Ross
Anchorage, AK