slow file transfers

From: Clay Scott <rudeboy@gci.net>
Date: Thu Mar 08 2007 - 22:09:06 AKST

i had my clearwire modem plugged into your run of the mill linksys 4-port ethernet hub and all was good. a few months back i upgraded to a linksys wrt45g wireless router to get my wii and (now two) laptop online. recently i've had some connection issues namely incredibly high ping latency, slow website loads, disconnects and now incredibly slow file transfers between machines on my network.

i'm trying to back up the files on my old laptop to my new one so that i can format the old machine and sell it to a friend. what these machines are connected through the wireless router and what i'm experiencing now is that my file transfers are plodding along at a whopping ~1.2MB/sec. every time i've had a problem with things before i would reset the router which would fix things temporarily. it could always be tracked down to the router because all slowness could be eliminated by bypassing the router and plugging my laptop directly into the modem.

i'm wondering if there's some kind of setting in the wrt54g that i'm missing that could cause these kinds of problems. is there some setting that would lag the router and cause an overall lag? any ideas to speed things up?

~clay