Re: software engineers needed starting @ $100,000/yr

From: Fielder George Dowding <fgdowding@gmail.com>
Date: Thu Mar 01 2007 - 00:41:28 AKST

Very interesting, but it appears to me that Bill G. is not interested in
hiring home-grown, US citizens. Just do the arithmetic.

This issue has reached a crisis point. Computer science employment is
> growing by nearly 100,000 jobs annually. But at the same time studies show
> that there is a dramatic decline in the number of students graduating with
> computer science degrees.

The United States provides 65,000 temporary H-1B visas each year to make up
> this shortfall -- not nearly enough to fill open technical positions.

So, let me take off my shoes. Just a minute. Hmmm...

Permanent residency regulations compound this problem. Temporary employees
> wait five years or longer for a green card. During that time they can't
> change jobs, which limits their opportunities to contribute to their
> employer's success and overall economic growth.

Last year, reform on this issue stalled as Congress struggled to address
> border security and undocumented immigration. As lawmakers grapple with
> those important issues once again, I urge them to support changes to the
> H-1B visa program that allow American businesses to hire foreign-born
> scientists and engineers when they can't find the homegrown talent they
> need. This program has strong wage protections for U.S. workers: Like
> other companies, Microsoft pays H-1B and U.S. employees the same high
> levels -- levels that exceed the government's prevailing wage.

Reforming the green card program to make it easier to retain highly skilled
> professionals is also necessary. These employees are vital to U.S.
> competitiveness, and we should welcome their contribution to U.S. economic
> growth.

We should also encourage foreign students to stay here after they graduate.
> Half of this country's doctoral candidates in computer science come from
> abroad. It's not in our national interest to educate them here but send them
> home when they've completed their studies.

Oh well, I am well over the hill anyhow. fgd.

On 2/27/07, Greg Madden <pabi@gci.net> wrote:

> Bill Gates has spoken.
>
> http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/02/23/AR2007022301697.html
> --