Re: Backups work! (when you've got 'em)

From: Tom Simes <simestd@netexpress.com>
Date: Thu Feb 01 2007 - 11:50:14 AKST

On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 11:44:30 -0900
Damien Hull <dhull@digitaloverload.net> wrote:

> My server is using software RAID 1 and LVM. It works well. RAID is
> nice but it doesn't save you if you delete data. Once you do that
> it's gone.
>
> Is it better to have RAID 1 or 5 ( no 0 ), backup of your data to DVD
> etc..., or both? I would like to get peoples thoughts on this.

I'm a big believer in hardware RAID implementations and having at least
one hot spare disk. Beyond that, the "best" RAID flavor depends on what
you are trying to optimize. A few that come to mind are:

Lowest cost?
Highest data availability?
Longest MTBF / lowest maintenance?
Fastest reads?
Fastest writes?
Largest volume size?
Use hardware already in hand?

As for backups, that's really a separate question. Commodity hard drive
prices have gotten so low that I personally can't justify backing up to
any other media (whether local, networked or both) unless it's
specifically for archival purposes. Even then, the shelf life of
WORM optical media is a concern (not to mention format obsolescence).

Tom