Re: Some non-computer questions about electrical wiring

From: Douglas McIntosh <ffdjm@alaska.net>
Date: Wed Jan 24 2007 - 09:57:19 AKST

> > I suspect that every last one of those victims felt exactly the
> > Your life and the lives of your family are in your hands and
> > will depend on what you do next. Not to mention the lives of
> > anyone in the future that might occupy that residence after
> > you have moved on. And your associated perpetual liability.

This is precisely why I do my own wiring. I want to have the job
done right. I remember hearing about one electrical contractor who
used zip cord (electric lamp cord) to wire a new house. This was
a fire hazard and was against code. If I have to learn the prin-
ciples of house wiring to make sure some one else did the job right
I might as well do it myself.

The contractor/mechanic/whatever wants to do the job as fast as
possible, get his money out of me, and get on to the next job. His
business demands this. He also has some financial incentive to do
unncessary work and replace parts without good cause.

A lot of Alaskans I know take their time about connecting small houses.
One guy electrified a two story cabin with 200 ft of romex from the
meter pole. Sure, the lights dimmed when the fridge started but that
was acceptable. The overloaded romex was outside and stayed cool.

Douglas