Re: Bandwidth Throttling

From: Kevin Miller <atftb2@alaska.net>
Date: Tue Jan 09 2007 - 13:11:17 AKST

ep wrote:
> Interesting, look into PMTUD (Path MTU Discovery) and set your mtu
> correctly. Mtu will be set on your border device. PMTUD understanding is a
> great addition to the soup...If for nothing else...
>
> --eddie

Thanks. I believe my "border device" is already doing pmtud -it is set
for 1492 as noted earlier. Maybe that's just the default, but I'd be
surprised since it wouldn't know out of the box whether or not I'll be
plugging in a DSL line or cable modem.

My workstation is set to 1492 so I should be golden. But there's no
discernible difference in the ACS newsgroups.

Even if set to 1500, I'd expect my WAP (border device - a Netgear MR314)
to repackage the packets to a smaller size since its NATting anyway.
Perhaps not as efficient, but it should penalize me uniformaly, not just
when connecting to ACS.

My workstation is doing pmtud, or at least
/proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_no_pmtu_disc is set to 0. I'd assume that if it's
not turned off that it is on.

Per some of the instructions I found, I did a ping <somewhere> -f -l
1460 which worked, then stepped up the number until it failed, then
added 28 which rendered 1492 as the largest size that would pass. No
surprise there since that's the same size as on the outside of my
Netgear router.

I did change the interfaces on the XP and W98 (hangs head in shame)
boxes to 1492. Might improve performance a tad...

...Kevin

--
Kevin Miller
http://www.alaska.net/~atftb