Re: Bandwidth Throttling

From: Brian ThunderEagle <thundereagle@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat Jan 06 2007 - 03:39:36 AKST

    When I was using GCI in Alaska a few years back I used to run my own
server and they didn't block anything then. I didn't even know they were
blocking ports at all on any ISP's until I tried to set my e-mail server up
down here in Michigan. It costs a lot of money to set up workarounds too.
Seems unfair to limit what we do with our internet service so much but what
can you really do about it? Even if you could take it to court (unlikely
because their contracts and user agreements are probably pretty solid) it
would just get dragged out over a few years.

Can they even block you from running a webserver? I know they can block
e-mail simnply by blocking the ports for that, but if you block a webservers
ports you wouldn't be able to view any webpages. Unless they have more
complex filters that actually look for incoming requests and outgoing
requests. Seems like it would be an expensive thing to implement.

    Brian