AKLUG server

From: barsalou <barjunk@attglobal.net>
Date: Mon Jan 01 2007 - 21:33:52 AKST

Thanks Adam for that.

Just so you folks are clear, the AKLUG server we keep referring to is a
box that has hardware that many have contributed many parts to over the
years.

The production server is currently hosted by Graham Brookins and is a
worthy piece of hardware.

Knowing this, allows me to share my thoughts of how things might be
done as we move forward. We have three main goals that I think are
worth achieving:

- Physical diversity
- Autonomy from an individual
- Quick recovery

Some of these things are currently already being met. The layout of
services is as follows:

- Maillist server - UAA Server, Alaska
- DNS - Alaska Wireless Server, Alaska
- Calendar, Website, other services, Somewhere outside of Alaska.

This configuration has served us fairly well in the recent past,
despite some of the more recent hiccups.

We need to have a second DNS server and a backup website. This will be
worked out as the year goes by. Barring some catistrophic events, I
think this will serve the AKLUG well.

Ideas are always welcome.

Mike B.