Re: AKLUG server

From: <jonr@destar.net>
Date: Fri Dec 29 2006 - 14:55:13 AKST

Quoting Damien Hull <dhull@digitaloverload.net>:

> Thanks for maintaining the site. I like the new look.
>
> Sounds like you have already implemented some of my suggestions.
>
> 1. I had no idea the site was based on WordPress
> 2. I didn't know that members could become editors
> 3. Wasn't aware that wiki registration had to be approved by the admin
>
> I think what we need here is better communication and education. If
> aklug members are told what, where, how, and why we won't complain as
> much. I am a firm believer in educating the end user. In this case aklug
> members are end users of the aklug website/server.
>
> The only issue left is the nonstandard Linux distribution. Mike chose to
> go with the Arthur Corliss Linux distribution.

The only thing non-standard about Corliss distro is that it uses awkward init to
 start the services, and that is fully documented. Other than that it is as
standard as any other distro.

> Option 2
> allows a few members of aklug to jump in and fix the server if a problem
> comes up.

Any member of AKLUG that has some experience in Linux should be able to jump
into the box and do any maintenance that needs to be done.

> If we shoot for option 1 and something goes wrong we might
> need Arthur's help.

Why would we need Arthurs help?

> Something to take into consideration here is that a
> standard Linux distribution can be installed and configured in a couple
> of hours.

Is this the state of AKLUG that we can no longer manage a source based distro
but only package based distros?

Jon