Re: AKLUG server

From: Damien Hull <dhull@digitaloverload.net>
Date: Thu Dec 28 2006 - 19:18:33 AKST

Greg Madden wrote:
> On Wednesday 27 December 2006 20:09, W.D.McKinney wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Any ideas when the AKLUG server will be used again?
>>
>> -Dee
>>

> Is this the server that hosts the aklug.org web site ? The aklug.org web
> is active, akaik.

I think it's hosted on another server. Last I herd Mike had the AKLUG
server. One Friday meeting an OS was installed. Another Friday meeting
we tried to install Apache and Horde. It didn't work.

 From a system administration point of view I think a few things need to
be changed. I make these suggestions based on the current stat of things.

   1. The AKLUG server is off line at the moment
   2. The Linux distribution that was chosen is not a standard one
   3. The horde wiki is a nice idea but people are having trouble posting

My suggestions

   1. Pick a standard Linux distribution
   2. Give members more access to the server
         1. ssh maybe
   3. Find a PHP application for managing the website
         1. Joomla http://www.joomla.org/
         2. WordPress http://wordpress.org/
         3. Droupal http://drupal.org/
   4. Switch the wiki to MediaWiki ( same thing wikipedia uses )
      http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki

These are only suggestions. Some of them may or may not work. However,
switching to something like WordPress or Joomla would allow members to
contribute content to the AKLUG website. Installing a standard Linux
distribution would make setup and maintenance much easer.

Again, these are only suggestions. If you think my suggestions are good,
bad or ugly let me know.