Re: pptp vpn

From: Scott Johnson <scott.a.johnson@gmail.com>
Date: Thu Nov 09 2006 - 23:45:21 AKST

For what it's worth, I've found SuSE makes a great PPTP server, and have
been using it for years. I VPN in through Linksys & Nexland routers and it
works fine (had to port forward the router protecting the SuSE box, but
that's it). I've use both OS X & M$ XP clients to connect and both work
beautifully.
On 10/13/06, Damien Hull <dhull@digitaloverload.net> wrote:

> After reading your email I did a quick Google search.
>
> Both PPTP and IPSec can go through a NAT firewall if the firewall has
> been configured to do so. Wireless hot spots and Internet Cafes that use
> broad band routers like Linksys may not have this feature turned on. I
> also looked into Cisco PIX firewalls. It apperies that PPTP through NAT
> is not a default setting. I'm not a Cisco guy so I'm not sure if this is
> the case.
>
> With SSL based VPN's you don't need to turn anything on. It just works.
> Assuming you have the server and client configured correctly.
>
> Now about the m$ part of your email. Who would ever do network security
> with m$?
>

> ep wrote:
> > "PPTP doesn't work with NAT"
> >
> > Grrrrr, m$ pptp DOES works with nat (and recent routers have moved
> beyond
> > the ugly hack...). If he's m$ pptp client to m$ pptp server it's fine (I
> > believe his client/server is rolling m$ pptp). In fact, just to cover
> that
> > 1%; to make sure I wasn't about to stuff my foot in my mouth. I just
> labbed
> > it up again, even though I did this already in a recent pentest...
> >

> > Client------FW(nat)--------------(nat)FW---------Server
> >
> > IT WORKS! LMAO READ AGAIN, IT WORKS!
> >
> > Tgif AKLUG, now back to work.
> >
> > --eddie