Re: Er.... for Sendmail users......enough

From: Matthew Schumacher <schu@schu.net>
Date: Fri Sep 08 2006 - 08:31:23 AKDT

Christopher E. Brown wrote:
> On Thu, 31 Aug 2006, Matthew Schumacher wrote:
> As to performance, last mockup I did was a few years back, with systems
> running the same message load on the same hardware/OS (Quad Xeons, 2G
> RAM, hardware RAID5 USCSI, Slackware, 2.4.x kernels).
>

> Overall was about the same, with message lookup being very slightly faster
> on Cyrus for accounts with < 1000 messages, and moderatly faster with
> 10,000 messages. Message deliver was the reverse, with Courier (maildrop
> LDA) running 15 messages/sec faster (35 vs 20) system wide. Both system
> were doing Quota enforcement. And while Courier deliver performance
> stayed nearly the same as the message count in each account grew (forced
> quota recalc every 15 min slowed a bit), Cyrus dropped to 12 messages/sec
> once the average message count per account topped 5,000.

Hmmm, perhaps it's time to do another mockup. I'm wondering if this is
still the case given that benchmark I posted. Cyrus is very fast, and
if it does double couriers performance such as the benchmark suggests
then hot standby cyrus servers are a wash performance wise, although I
do agree that clustering is a bit simpler.

I really need to do some benchmarking soon.....

schu