Re: Curious question

From: Fielder George Dowding <fgdowding@iceworm-enterprises.net>
Date: Tue Sep 05 2006 - 12:50:25 AKDT

rspickles@computers4all.org wrote:
> Trying to decide which vehicle on the road is the best makes about as
> much sense and deciding which Linux is best. It really depends on what
> you are trying to do and what works for you. In reality this diversity
> is much more advantage than disadvantage.
> roger
>
> Tony wrote:
>> Hi Everyone:
>>
>> We have a variety of Linux systems out there. I have
>> played around mainly with Red Hat and SuSE and I
>> wondered amongst all the systems that we have, e.g.
>> Mandrake, Ubuntu, Fedora Core, etc., which one is the
>> best system? Or are we are doomed to be learning the
>> differences in linux syntax for coding.

> -- Type: text/x-vcard
> -- File: rspickles.vcf

Boy! I can't resist this one. As my signature says, I am a
Debian-o-phyle. On the other hand, I have found,
_Through_Experimentation_ (TE) [(tm), (c), (pat.to be applied for),
etc.] that depending upon the use, needs, environment, skinware, etc.,
other Linux distributions work better than Debian.

I believe in freedom and Debian has the rather strict Debian Free
Software Guidelines (dfsg). The commercial distributions tend to do what
is necessary to get their distribution working on the hardware
regardless of the state (free, non-free, blah, blah, etc.) of various
drivers and applications.

Further, Debian stable is so stable it is largely out-dated, so for my
own use, I run testing or unstable. I just, within the past three
months, upgraded two servers (one at home and one at the Mabel T.
Caverly Senior Center) from Sarge (stable) to Etch (testing) in
anticipation of Etch becoming the stable distribution by the end of
2006. For my workstations, I lean toward testing rather early, but I
found that I had to load the unstable version (Sid) when I bought the HP
laptop with an AMD64 Athlon and the ATI chip set last Thanksgiving (2005).

Since then, testing as well as unstable are in the usual Debian
repositories, so I will probably load Etch (testing --> stable) on this
new HP Multimedia TV PC (yes, that is what is on the front of the tower)
which has an AMD64 (can't remember the flavor) with the nVidia chip set
that I bought for All Saints. That is the machine that came with XP
Multimedia Edition. I made the DVD restore set, but it didn't. HP sent
me the set, but in the mean time I have installed S.u.S.E. 10.1 (thanks
to the AKLUG Laboratory Session) and Ubuntu (both 64 bit). I will find
out which is best TE.

And yes, I also have the dyne:bolic thing, but TE, is doesn't seem to be
doing as well as SuSE or Ubuntu.

I will probably have to put the XP MM Edition back on because there are
things going on this week at All Saints that will result in an urgent
need for video and audio editing, DVD and CD burning, and podcasting
development. It appears that everything can be done in Linux, but I am
not up to speed.

So, Tony, that is the beauty of Linux. Determine what is best for your TE.
- --
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards Debian/GNU Linux
Fielder George Dowding, Chief Iceworm "etch" Testing
dba Iceworm Enterprises, Anchorage, Alaska User Number 269482
Since 1976 - Over 30 Years of Service. "irad" 301256