Re: Er.... for Sendmail users......

From: Arthur Corliss <acorliss@nevaeh-linux.org>
Date: Thu Aug 31 2006 - 19:02:06 AKDT

On Thu, 31 Aug 2006, Damien Hull wrote:

> First of all I deal with small mail servers. My current client only has
> 9 users. That includes me. Most of what you are talking about doesn't
> apply to small mail servers.

I think that this is one overlooked statement that needs to be noted. None
of us (I hope) believe that there is no room for alternatives, or that one
MTA is the perfect match for all configurations.

As Damien notes small installations can get away with post-SMTP filtering
with little or no degradation in service. Adding filtering via procmail is
a great (and minimally invasive) way to experiment and test filtering
products. And it is more than sufficient for a handful of users.

I will say that what Schu wrote about *does* apply to all servers, milters
will *always* be the most efficient way of handling mail, regardless of
volume (let's face it -- greylisting is essentially a miltering option
without the ability to do all the other things you can do with a
full-fledged milter). But the time needed to set it up, manage, and tune
may not return enough value to be considered a wise investment. ROI is
just as valid a rationale as technical elegance and accuracy.

And, of course, what I've said about MTAs also applies to the other layers
(IMAP, etc.) as well. If you like your current MTA keep using it.

         --Arthur Corliss