Re: Apache and Samba

From: barsalou <barjunk@attglobal.net>
Date: Sun Aug 27 2006 - 19:45:01 AKDT

Although I realize that turning it off solved your problems, my
suggestion is to turn it to warning. That way it is "off" but you get
some hints in the logs about what sort of problems you would run into
if it was "on".

This is how I learned how to use a firewall. I turned everything to
accept initially, but also logged things (of course this wasn't on the
open internet).

After doing things like trying to browse the internet, check my pop3
mail, open a connection on a windows server, I started to lock things
down (turn it to always reject) with logging still on.

After a short amount of time, I had a pretty reasonable firewall setup
specific to my needs.

Although it is not wide spread can be somewhat convoluted, it's an
interesting technology and helped earn RedHat it's security ratings.

Mike B.