Network Availability Failover

From: Oliver Savage <oliver.savage@gmail.com>
Date: Mon Jul 17 2006 - 23:12:31 AKDT

Looking for suggestions, about what to avoid, and what works well.
Thank you for replies in advance. I am setting up a router running
linux that will be used for network availabilty/load balancing to
adjust for "ISP outages", network attacks, etc.

Using several ISP's (at most three), and when one ISP is unreachable,
switch over to another. I want to be able to take static IP's assigned
to me by one ISP and in the event of an outage have the internet
facing router broadcast availabilty for these IP's. As well it would
transparently handle DHCP, DNS propagation for a fairly normal office
routing setup. Something for small business needs, that could be
easily replicated would be of the most use.

I have started reading up on RIP, OSPF, and BGP. Looking at Quagga
(http://quagga.net/docs/docs-info.php) right now, with thoughts of
leveraging my experiences with OpenWRT on a Linksys WRT54g.