Re: Extra data in posts

From: James Zuelow <e5z8652@zuelow.net>
Date: Tue Jul 11 2006 - 20:48:27 AKDT

On Tuesday 11 July 2006 20:00, Greg Madden wrote:

> One reason for bottom posting is for lists, like Debians, that are
> archived. Researching a topic and finding the thread that follows bottom
> posting is an easier way to read an entire thread on a topic.
>
> That said, when I am doing more personal email and already what I said
> they said , a top post is quick and easy to get the latest response.

Top posters tend to leave the trailers on the bottom of their messages. The lines on some mailing lists that say "to unsubscribe..."

After a short time you get a bunch of those collected at the bottom of the message (which nobody is reading, since they're only reading the top few lines), which just wastes bandwidth -- especially when the top posts are all one line 'me too!' responses.

Bottom posters and especially comment inserters tend to clean up a little more, since they are more likely to have read the message they're replying to.

Anyway - it used to be that bottom posting was The Right Thing To Do (TM), especially on usenet, and top posting was for people without netiquette. Then we got Outlook - it fights you when you want to kill HTML, it fights you when you want to bottom post, it fights you when you want to (gasp!) insert comments...

Now we have people who won't even read this message because it's bottom posted!