Burning a double layer DVD works!

From: Damien Hull <dhull@digitaloverload.net>
Date: Sun Jul 02 2006 - 20:28:17 AKDT

I turns out you can burn a double layer DVD on Ubuntu Dapper. Here's
what happened.

   1. Put the DL DVD in
   2. Gnome shows an icon of a CD not a DVD
   3. I try to burn under gnome and it says not enough space
   4. I install and burn under K3b - same thing
   5. K3b only shows 4.7 GB of space

All the above had me wondering where my 8.5 GB DVD was. Greg's post
about burning dual layer from the CLI got me thinking. Maybe I'm looking
in all the wrong places.

I started looking at Linux and dual layer burning in general. Instead of
Ubuntu dual layer burning. To make a long days search short, here's the
CLI version.

growisofs -dvd-compat -speed=8 -Z /dev/hdc my-dvd/

I ran the command and was told I had to much data. Moved 1 gig of
music/movies out and it worked just fine.

CLI works like a champ.

   1. -speed=8 ( is the speed of my DVD burner but she burned at 4
      something )
   2. /dev/hdc ( my DVD device file )
   3. my-dvd ( the directory of the data I want to burn )

You need to change the above to match your system.

In this case the GUI got in the way.

FUTURE PLANS

   1. Encrypted DVD's using cryptsetup
   2. backup to DL DVD once a month or so

NOTE
I think I broke my system. At one point I tried to install libc6. It's
part of Edgy not Dapper. Synaptic is complaining because some of libc6
didn't get installed right. I'm hoping I can install the old libc. The
other option is to reinstall Ubuntu.