Re: KDE 3.5.3, IPv6, and CUPS

From: James Zuelow <e5z8652@zuelow.net>
Date: Tue Jun 27 2006 - 06:47:14 AKDT

On Monday 26 June 2006 22:04, Fielder George Dowding wrote:

> Ummm... Well, dist-upgrade and update (within the currently installed
> distribution) are two different things. I myself update regularly
> although not daily. I use dselect so I take a look at the new stuff and
> sometimes the updated stuff before I do the install. I do a dist-upgrade
> when I am moving from, say stable (eg.: woody) to testing (eg.: sarge)
> because I know testing is slated to become stable within six months or so.
>

> Maybe "dist-upgrade" was a slip of the finger although Greg did explain
> the differences.

Umm, no. I guess I take it for granted that one would update before upgrading, or else you'll just use the same package list over and over again which would defeat the purpose of the upgrade.

To be precise the exact command I have running is:

apt-get update && apt-get -d dist-upgrade

That runs via cron, so I get new packages downloaded at night. Then I can do a quick apt-get dist-upgrade to install the new packages.

If I'm happy, apt-get autoclean deletes the obsolete versions while keeping the current ones. If I'm not happy (and I notice problems in time) I can use dpkg to force a downgrade of troublesome packages. Most of the time I am happy, or can live with problems for a little bit while I wait for related packages that might fix a problem to filter down from unstable.

dist-upgrade will install additional dependencies, where upgrade will not. Therefore on stable systems I tend to use upgrade since they are mainly pulling down security and bug fixes that do not introduce new dependencies. On testing systems (like the one I broke) I tend to use dist-upgrade since the package list changes so rapidly.

Sorry for the confusion.