Re: weird network address

From: Adam bultman <adamb@glaven.org>
Date: Wed Jun 21 2006 - 22:09:00 AKDT

Bah, my reply went to jamie, and not aklug. Here's what I put:

I believe that like 10.0.0.0/8, 192.168/16, 172.[16-31]/16, the
169.254.0.0/16 network is just another block of nonroutable, local-LAN
ip addresses.

Windows machines will, by default, assign themselves a 169.x address if
they cannot find a DHCP server, but are configured by DHCP.

If you're getting a 169.x.x.x address, it might be because either your
machine can't find a DHCP address, is finding another DHCP server, or is
just wacked out on wowie sauce.

For more information on nonroutable, special-use IPv4 addresses, see
RFC3330: http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc3330.html

Woo, aren't RFC's just *wonderful* reads?!

Adam