Re: OS Recommendations?

From: Mac Mason <mac@cs.hmc.edu>
Date: Thu Jun 01 2006 - 10:59:03 AKDT

On Thu, Jun 01, 2006 at 11:57:50AM +0000, Brian ThunderEagle wrote:
> I havn't worked on my server in a while and just a few days ago realized
> that RedHat stopped giving out free versions after release 9. So I need some
> recommendations on what I should use now. I am downloading Fedora and was
> going to try that out, but does anyone have any recomendations for a good
> OS? I am going to be using it to run a webserver, ftp, mail, and dns. (I
> also want a good OS to use as a desktop too for another computer. Much
> progress on game support?)
If you're in a curious mood, have a look at FreeBSD on the server. I've
found that it's excellent for server duty, well-maintained, stable, very
well-documented, and saner in a lot of ways than most linuxes. Then
again, it's pretty different (again, it's well-documented), so you'll
have a certain amount of learning curve to deal with.

> Also, in the past I always used sendmail for my mailserver, are there any
> recommendations for a different mailserver?

I use postfix, and have never had the slightest trouble.

    --Mac

--
Julian "Mac" Mason                            mac@cs.hmc.edu
Computer Science '06                          (310)-882-8068