Re: OS Recommendations?

From: James Zuelow <e5z8652@zuelow.net>
Date: Thu Jun 01 2006 - 07:24:46 AKDT

On Thursday 01 June 2006 06:28, Damien Hull wrote:
> Here's the short list

> 2. Postfix instead of sendmail

> > Also, in the past I always used sendmail for my mailserver, are there any
> > recommendations for a different mailserver? Something more secure or with
> > more features? How about a spamfilter, is there a good mailserver with a
> > built-in spam filter? If not in one package, what is a good spamfilter to
> > use these days?
> >
> > Thanks in advance for any help.

I second the Postfix recommendation. I'm not smart enough to have ever
figured out SendMail configuration without Webmin, but I can grok Postfix's
config files easily. (I stand in awe of anyone who uses SendMail and doesn't
rely on a 3rd party configuration utility.)

Postfix can listen on arbitrary ports, so it is common to daisy chain spam or
virus filters (or a combined utility like MailScanner).

Typically Postfix collects the mail from the net, passes it to spamassassin on
the loopback interface, spamassassin returns it to postfix on the loopback,
and then postfix hands it off to an mda locally. Many howtos on this, and
only takes a few minutes to set up.

MailScanner is really designed to work with SendMail and on-disk message
queues, so to install it you just tell Postfix to dump all incoming messages
to disk. MailScanner picks them up and does its magic, then dumps them back
to disk. Postfix then grabs them and continues on. It takes a bit more
typing to tell Postfix to dump the messages to disk instead of hand them off
over the loopback interface, but MailScanner is a pretty popular package.

James