Re: Office Conversation About Linux

From: Greg Madden <pabi@gci.net>
Date: Wed May 24 2006 - 20:32:21 AKDT

On Wednesday 24 May 2006 13:40, Jules Infintiy wrote:
> I was having a conversation with a coworker this morning about Linux.
> He feels like Linux should just join up and have one distro. He had
> some good points. But here is my question who thinks it would really be
> a good idea? I Love Linuxs openness and having chooses, but I fell that
> if it was just one distro it would just end up like Windows.
> I am just interested in your opinions on the matter.

Differing opinions on the GNU/Linux or the GNU/XXX, what a concept :-)
Linux is a kernel, you can hack away to your hearts content as long as
the gpl licensing is followed. Try Debians GNU/BSd for an alternative
view.

IMHO, their will always be 'many' flavors of Linux, but in the commercial
markplace, Suse & RedHat, and Debian et al, are the only ones that fit
the definition of competeting with MS & Apple, imho.

BTW, Window sucks, among other adjectives, (convicted federal criminals)
so it is not a target OS to be emulated.

Back to the topic, with the FHS & LSB GNU/Linux does behave similar/same
on different hardware & distros.

--
Greg Madden