RE: What is spanning tree?

From: captgoodnight captgoodnight <captgoodnight@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue May 09 2006 - 13:06:36 AKDT

Spanning tree IS good for redundancy, in the sense if one switch dies
another will kick in, this goes for gateways aswell. Network loops aren't a
good thing. The issue at the school maybe a vlan issue, look to see if vlans
are configured and blocking access, with 10 or so switches I suspect this is
true.

>A small office network of one or two switches doesn't need spanning
>tree. Even the high school with its 10 or so switches doesn't need
>spanning tree.

Depends really, you decide those kinda things over a map of the network.

>I'm still a little confused.
>1. Is spanning tree turned on by default
>2. Do switches with VLAN support have spanning tree

1)Catalyst switch, yes.
2)Yes, and within vlans too (PVST+).

And ummm, spanning tree isn't just a Cisco thing...

--eddie