RE: spanning tree ?

From: captgoodnight captgoodnight <captgoodnight@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon May 08 2006 - 20:26:16 AKDT

Just my view...

>Here's my question. Should I learn the ins and outs of spanning tree? The
>reason I ask is because the >high school I'm working at has network
>problems that I think are related to spanning tree. They will >setup a game
>server on one part of the network and only some of the clients can see or
>access the >server.

Learn it, it's worth it.

An afternoon in front of the board with book in hand should do. Take and
keep your notes...

If nothing else it will be one more thing you understand, which will lead to
another thing more complicated.

It's very useful, depending on your environment. Think spanning tree in
vlans...

>They are using Cisco catalyst switches. I don't like them because they have
>way to many options. Most >of which are never used.

Dear god friend, you use linux! ;p)

Get use to Cisco, it will temper you.

>spanning tree
>1.where does this rank among all the other things a network engineer should
>know

High in my opinion. Think redundancy.

Is there such thing as a network engineer who doesn't understand it?

>2.how much weight should be given to spanning tree when trouble shooting

Think design.

>3.should it be placed on a check list

Until is becomes intuitive ;)

>With all the other things a network engineer needs to know I'm not sure how
>I'm going to fit this in. >There's DHCP, DNS, IP, TCP/IP, routing etc...
>that I need to know. When will it end.

It will never end. Like linux, hopefully it's a joy most of the time. Just
wait till ipv6...It's like everything else, at first it's a pain, then with
practice it becomes an engram and your able to enjoy understanding it...

2 cents,
eddie