Re: Watercooling and overclocking penguins

From: Mike Tibor <tibor@tibor.org>
Date: Sat Apr 22 2006 - 23:00:53 AKDT

On Fri, 21 Apr 2006, captgoodnight captgoodnight wrote:

> So who out there is overclocking and watercooling with tux?
>
> Show and tell...
>
> ;)
> --eddie

Well, I haven't actually done it, but I looked into watercooling my server
with an eye toward reliability. My idea was that fans seem to die way to
quickly and at the most inconvenient times. If I put my server in the
crawlspace of my house, I could get away with either no fans at all, or a
single, relatively slow-turning (possibly turned down via a rheostat)
120mm fan to eliminate any hot spots in the case. I was going to do it on
the cheap using either a heater core or small radiator from a
junkyard--either one would be a nice big heat exchanger. I had actually
planned out how I'd plumb it safely into the cold water supply of my
house. Unfortunately, planning turned out to be a lot more fun that
doing. :-)

If anyone else has actually done it, especially with a home-grown setup, I
would love to hear about it too, and see pics!

Mike