mysql front end and report generator

From: Thomison, Lee <ThomisonL@ci.anchorage.ak.us>
Date: Wed Apr 19 2006 - 17:42:49 AKDT

At work we've got some products and projects coming up soon that are
going to require personnel here to start using databases, something
they've been loath to do; the most sophisticated they want to be is
Excel (notice I did not say 'spreadsheet', because they know the concept
'Excel', they don't know the concept 'spreadsheet').
I'm not a database kinda guy and don't want to be, but if we don't get
started right, we're going to be screwed in with Access. And my
memories of Access are of a decent quickie report generator, moderately
workable data entry mechanisms, and infuriatingly pathetic 'database'
capabilities ('data accumulation' may be a better term).

I've worked somewhat with mysql and phpmyadmin as I've needed to, so I'd
like to at least get these introduced. Here's my questions:

1. Phpmyadmin is ok for database admin and design. But what do people
use for data entry and viewing screens, and report generators that hit
on mysql? This needs to generate stuff that can be deployed to and
usable by muggles, preferably on a web browser (php based would be an
added plus)

2. What can folks recommend for an interactive, perhaps CBT based,
training for mysql administration, as well as the tools for screen and
report generation.

Thanks in advance!