Re: Health Problems Related to the Geek Lifestyle

From: Greg Madden <pabi@gci.net>
Date: Wed Apr 05 2006 - 19:32:56 AKDT

On Wednesday 05 April 2006 18:49, Damien Hull wrote:
> This was on /.
>
> http://www.carotids.com/lifestyle/health-problems-related-to-the-geek-l
>ifestyle/
>
> Here's the carpal tunnel section.
>
> http://www.carotids.com/con/con-does-computer-use-cause-carpal-tunnel/
>
> Could those of you who have carpal tunnel or similar health problems
> comment on this?
>
> I would like to know if my excessive computer use will give me carpal
> tunnel or not. I do have a slight pain in my mouse hand/wrist/arm. My
> left hand/wrist/arm isn't as bad but there is also a slight pain.
>
> I would like to avoid a trip to the doctor.

Ergonomics is everthing if you spend hours using a computer. I found using
the mouse is part of wrist/hand,elbow,shoulder problems.

In my case I ignored the wrist pain, it went away and then it was the
elbow. I ignored that and my shoulder ended up taking all the abuse. 8
weeks of PT to get my shoulder loosened up.

Use the mouse as little as possible, use the keyboard & key bindings,
support your whole arm , from the wrist up to the elbow in some fashion
so there is no using your body muscles to support the arm. Get a chair
that has lumbar support & height adjustment, the height adjustment will
go along wit the support of the arms.

I am sure Adam has some additions concerning keyboarding.

Good Luck

--
Greg Madden