Re: [BULK E-Mail] Re: Ping times

From: Royce Williams <royce@alaska.net>
Date: Thu Mar 23 2006 - 14:37:48 AKST

W.D.McKinney wrote:

>>> Wonder when ACS & GCI will ever peer?
>>>
>> Whatever they do, they need to outsource DNS. DNS servers for both
>> providers are horrid; I can do it faster by hand with a great big
>> book. ACS has been having especialy bad problems with DNS in the past
>> couple days - everything is ok today, though.
>
> Yes indeed. We run our own DNS and very happily so.

Speaking as myself, and not as an ACS person, this is a known issue
and is actively being worked ... by a guy sitting about ten feet
away from me. :)

Also, a number of high-profile end-user applications and web sites
(especially some P2P and MySpace) have started to keep ridiculously
low TTLs, causing a /very/ substantial load increase. That is also
being worked.

And again, speaking personally, yes, one can do individual lookups
faster than ACS and GCI are right now. Give out your DNS servers'
IP addresses to thousands of broadband customers and it gets a little
less trivial. :)

Royce

--
Royce D. Williams                                - IP Engineering, ACS
personal: [first]@alaska.net                  - PGP: 3FC087DB/1776A531