re: removing large file

From: Kurt Brendgard <brendgard@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed Mar 22 2006 - 16:35:14 AKST

It does sound as if something has gone wrong.

It almost sounds as if the system needs more ram to
keep track of what sectors need to be dealt with,
maybe try add a stick long enough to delete it? Or
maybe if you have a real memory hog of an app running,
try turning ot off while deleting. Linux is better
than Windows with using smaller amounts of ram, but
there is only so much that can be expected.

If the box has enough ram, it's also possible that the
memory and/or mb are getting flakey, trying to access
ram in a spot where it's starting to flake out. Might
try swapping out with some new ram stick to see if
that works.

If you can't get it deleted any other way, there is a
last resort trick to try. Try copying a much smaller
file over the top of it, or opening it up to write,
overwriting whats there, and write very little. makes
the memory requirments smaller in deleting it. Last
resort though, if something goes wrong, it could make
it much worse.

                         Kurt