Re: removing large file

From: Greg Madden <pabi@acsalaska.net>
Date: Tue Mar 21 2006 - 17:25:23 AKST

On Tuesday 21 March 2006 18:10, Douglas McIntosh wrote:
> Somehow I imported a 1.6 Gb rpm file and now I need to delete it.
> Rm and mv, which work on smaller files, both segfault with the
> big file. I use the Reiser file system and all utilities are up to
> date. Kernel 2.6.12.
>
> I have enough space remaining on my drive so this is not a critical
> problem.
>
> I stupidly thought that the linux maximum file size of 2 Gb meant
> that slightly smaller files were ok, but maybe not.
>
> Comments, anyone?

FYI,
There isn't a 2gb file limit in Linux, or at least for the last couple of
years. Don't know why your system segfaults though. I always thought
something was broken on the system for a segfault to trigger.

I did find this description of segfault though:

"A segfault is when a process gets
killed by the signal SIGSEGV (segmentation violation). This signal is
generated when a process tries to access invalid memory regions, and
usually happens in C programs when a bad pointer is used."

--
Greg Madden
Precision Air Balance, Inc.