Re: ntp time generator for those other glass fronts ...

From: Greg Madden <pabi@acsalaska.net>
Date: Wed Mar 08 2006 - 18:10:00 AKST

On Tuesday 07 March 2006 13:56, Joshua Kugler wrote:
> On Tuesday 07 March 2006 13:40, Stanley Long wrote:
> > I received a call this AM. An OK 501c3 just lost a time synch box,
> > and we can donate one or our throw-away 300mHz boxes with Linux.
> >
> > They use a GPS, feed thru a DSL port to their old machine, and run an
> > ntp application under W98 to provide a time reference for the W-XP
> > boxes on the network.
> >
> > I just use "ntpdate -bu -t 3 tick.mit.edu" each week manually from a
> > root shell xterm here, but they are pickier and need it to be
> > automatic.
> >
> > What should we give them?
>
> ntpd works for me. Just configure it with the server to use, and it
> will stay in sync with it.

Reading via Google suggests 'ntpdate' will be deprecated, soon? Not a
problem if it is still available. Afaikt running ntpd is preffered over
running ntpdate via cron.

Debian includes 'openntpd', from OpeBSD, and the default install is to
run as a daemon using 'servers pool.ntp.org' in the ntpd.conf file,
(us.pool.ntp.org)This is in the client mode.

--
Greg Madden
Precision Air Balance, Inc.