Re: Looking for Older, Slower Machine

From: <rspickles@kcialaska.org>
Date: Wed Feb 15 2006 - 11:08:08 AKST

CFA is Computers For All, Inc. an Alaskan orgnized Non-profit (waiting
for its federal 50(c)3 Letter). I started it to aid in the effort to get
computers into the hands of families with children that at do not have
one. So far CFA has a very small cash budget mostly we deal in donated
computers and parts and donated time. In fact donatons are accepted in
time, materials and/or money. Nealy all cash now days goes to
purchasing hardware modems - so if you come accross or have some
hardware modems we really like them every bit as much as the cash. All
of our computers have SuSE 10 installed at the time of give away
(because of ease of end user maintenance) - thats why we use only PIII
500s and above now. Thus a few slower machines now do not meet our
minumums.

I have some of all the slower computers are at my office at work - 3710
E. 20th ave. My office hours are 8:00 to 4:30 most days however I do
maintain systems at other sites as well. So please call to set a time so
that I can make sure I will be here when you get here. My work number
is 272-0133.

Troy Melhase wrote:
> On Tue February 14 2006 09:59, rspickles@kcialaska.org wrote:
>
>> I do have several machines in the 300mhz to 450mhz range that I consider
>> too slow for use in my give away program - they are in effect free. A
>> donation to CFA would be nice but not required. As for noise you would
>> just have to try them out yourself - I have not in most cases even
>> turned them on. (a batch of 400 mzh compaqs do not even have a processor
>> fan -- just one on the power supply).
>>

> hi roger,
>
> i'm happy to make a donation to CFA... if i knew what it was! can you tell
> me? i looked @ kcialaska.org but didn't see a reference to it.
>
> when and where can i see the machines? i'll work around your schedule and
> availability. thanks.

-- Type: text/x-vcard
-- File: rspickles.vcf