dd question?

From: Thomison, Lee <ThomisonL@ci.anchorage.ak.us>
Date: Thu Feb 02 2006 - 16:10:36 AKST

I have a win98SE (FAT32) hard drive that apparently one of the FAT
tables is corrupted -and- has botched clusters and who knows what else.
I'd like to dupe the drive to try to either repair it or get the
important stuff off of.
Now, ghost don't workee on this fubar'ed drive. So I'm thinking
dd....?

I haven't worked with dd that much, but can I take this messed up
western digital drive, and and dd it onto a, say, different Seagate?

So, for example.

Messed up 8 gig western digital on /dev/hda

Seagate 12G on /dev/hdd

(boot knoppix on /dev/hdc)

Can I use dd to dupe hda onto hdc. Botched up FAT and clusters and all?

dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdd <cr>

Even if they are different hard drives, different configurations?

Will this even get the MBR?

Is it that simple?

Can't be.

Thanks.