Re: Now and Xen

From: Jamie Hushower <hushower@alaska-geeks.com>
Date: Sat Jan 21 2006 - 16:14:01 AKST

I am impressed with the ease of installing multiple Fedora machines machines
under Fedora (4), but suspect installing Xen for use with different OSes might
not be so smooth. My experience showed the performance be to be excellent.
Very little overhead in the controlling machine. I found problems mainly in
hardware access and gave up on virtual machines for a fax server (requiring a
multi-serial port card) and an Asterisk PBX (requiring a specialty add-on
card).

-Jamie

Jon Reynolds (jonr@destar.net) wrote:

> Has anybody tried the Xen virtualization machine from
> http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/Research/SRG/netos/xen/?
>
> I have a few OSes I want to try out and was thinking of giving Xen a try
> so I can install a few of them and work on them through one machine. I
> was just wanting to hear any real world trials and tribulations or if it
> is just all hype and is dog slow and not worth the effort.
>
> Jon

Jamie Hushower
Computer Consultant
Rent-A-Geek