Re: Web Hosting Company Recommendations

From: Tim Johnson <tim@johnsons-web.com>
Date: Wed Jan 18 2006 - 09:47:58 AKST

* Neil Moomey <neil@neilmoomey.com> [060113 15:40]:

> Does anyone know of any affordable web hosting companies they highly
> recommend? Something with MySQL, email, excellent customer service
> and <$15/month. I'm not talking server hosting, just web hosting.

After reviewing other answers to this posting, I see references to
web hosters that I have had to deal with while advocating for clients.

*none* come close to the service, reliability and flexibility of cniweb.
Disclaimer: I have no vested interest in the company and no relatives
in the company. (although the owner's last name is Johnson)

They'll do anything for you and you always get prompt responses to
problems and those responses will be from a real human and they won't
be canned.

I know of one reseller who uses one of the hosters mentioned in this
thread, and she is in deep trouble, losing customers right and left,
has websites breaking down because of an issue with a PHP upgrade, and
is not getting support from the hoster.

One of my sisters-in-law had a flourishing e-commerce business that
eventually failed when the hoster failed.

Many hosters are so big and so automated that I called them
"hostaucracies".

Cniweb is expensive --- $24 per month. But see above -- and they even
let us serve customers who are hosted by 'hostaucracies' from our
domains and support us to that end. Also they provided secure URLs, no
charge.

Sometimes these inexpensive outfits are okay, other times there are
hidden costs, depends on your needs.

tim

--
Tim Johnson <tim@johnsons-web.com>