Re: Tiny firewall options

From: David J. Weller-Fahy <dave-lists-aklug@weller-fahy.com>
Date: Thu Jan 05 2006 - 08:56:33 AKST

* Jon Reynolds <jonr@destar.net> [2006-01-04 22:30 +0100]:
> I have been using the Soekris boxes on a 256MB flash stick and have it
> logging off to another server. I am using the 4801, which has 3 ports
> and a slot for a PCI card. The box is a 266Mhz with 128MB of RAM,
> there is already an image of monowall built specifically for the
> net4801. This box has been in use for over a year and I have never had
> trouble with it. If you like, you can also put a 2.5" laptop HD in it
> if you don't want to use a flash stick. They are a bit more expensive
> than the wraps.

Yeah, that expense is going to be an issue for me, as I'm trying to use
any money saved on the equipment itself on the wireless (see my last
response for why).

I've also seen (can't remember where) some benchmarks indicating that
pcengine and soekris epcs with equivalent specs are almost identical in
speed, so I think I'll go with the pcengines version. Good to hear that
people are using them successfully, though... rather, people I *know*
are using them successfully. ;]

PS - Don't expect further replies for about 9-10 days, as I'll be
heading to Sicily for 8 days, and have only port 80 access to the
internet.

Regards,

--
dave [ please don't CC me ]