Re: Greylisting

From: Shane R. Spencer <shane@tdxnet.com>
Date: Thu Jan 05 2006 - 00:27:35 AKST

I use greylisting via postfix and the extra postfix-gld program.

in main.cf:

smtpd_recipient_restrictions = permit_sasl_authenticated,
                             permit_mynetworks,
                             check_policy_service inet:127.0.0.1:2525,

It uses MySQL for storing the lists (white and grey) which is fine for
my setup, some other greylist setups use highly corruptable hash db's
and I enjoy having a very persistent greylist.

Lets seeeee..

mysql> select count(*) from greylist;
+----------+
| count(*) |
+----------+
| 85532 |
+----------+

mysql> select count(*) from whitelist;
+----------+
| count(*) |
+----------+
| 51 |
+----------+

We have 214 email accounts on this box. 15% of that is employees I
closely monitor at the company and we have all seen very dramatic
effects, including pointing our fingers and laughing at a slight few
Exchange servers that just.. don't.. understand..

Basically a 4xx error in SMTP follwed by a response should always lead
to a server retry.. Exchange doesn't always allow that, or at least its
easy to configure it that way.

We greylist based on Class C as well as recv/send domain. Class C
greylisting is highly recommended if you are receiving mail from a
client that uses a highly available or multi server SMTP hosting service
like google and a few other mailing services. In some cases a server
sending a mail and receiving the "Try Again" message may hand it off to
another server to queue and try again, or send out again as a different
IP if they are load balancing the outbound mail, a Class C vs Per IP
setup helps in these cases.

Let me know if you need to know a bit more.

Shane