Re: WMF gunshy

From: Jim Gribbin <Jim@JimGribbin.com>
Date: Wed Jan 04 2006 - 18:22:56 AKST

The only reason I have windows is that I need to be able to use IE
w/ActiveX to do my job.
I understand you can get it with Firefox too. You have to OK the
downloading of the file though. Once its been downloaded, there are a
variety of ways it can be activated. IE not required. Windows Explorer,
MSPaint, Google Tool bar, etc.

One of the formats the chart was offered in was a .pdf. That would
normally be downloaded anyway. I understand it doesn't have to be a .wmf
file. .jpg and several others work just as well.

Jim

Fielder George Dowding wrote:

> At least not with IE on a Windows box. fgd.
>
> Jim Gribbin wrote:
>
> >Boy, all this talk on the net about these WMF exploits has got me
> nervous.
> >I just got an innocent enough looking piece of spam, supposedly from the
> >US Post Office, someone I normally get spam from anyway. It is just
> >offering me charts for the new postal rates that I know are in the
> >process of going up anyway. Then when I rolled my mouse over the links
> >in the email, they don't actually go to the site the texts claims. The
> >visible text in the links are all usps.com/(something or other) or
> >pe.usps.com/(something or other), but the link that shows on the bar at
> >the bottom of the window is all "email.harte-hanks.com/(something or
> >other)".
>
> >Harte Hanks (harte-hanks.com) is openly registered at Network Solutions
> >and appears to be a legitimate marketing company in Austin Texas. They
> >could very well be doing work for the Post Office.
>
> >Am I going to click on the links while up in Windows (I almost did)? I
> >don't think so. You just don't know.
>
> >Jim Gribbin
>

> >-- Binary/unsupported file stripped by Ecartis --
> >-- Type: text/x-vcard
> >-- File: Jim.vcf
>

> >---------
> >with 'unsubscribe' in the message body.
>

> --
> Fielder George Dowding, Chief Iceworm .^. Debian/GNU Linux
> dba Iceworm Enterprises, Anchorage, Alaska /v\ "etch" Testing
> Since 1976 - Over 25 Years of Service. /( )\ User Number 269482
> ^^-^^ "irad" 301256

-- Type: text/x-vcard
-- File: Jim.vcf