Re: Still learning! (kernel help)

From: Greg Madden <pabi@acsalaska.net>
Date: Sat Dec 31 2005 - 13:58:41 AKST

On Saturday 31 December 2005 12:55, dhull wrote:
> Learned something new at the meetig last night. I was trying to compile
> a kernel.
>
> Here's how I do it.
> 1. make oldconfig
> 2. make xconfig ( select modules etc... )
> 3. make
> 4. make modules
> 5. make install
> 6. make modules_install
>
> I've never had a problem in Fedora or CentOS. However, this new guy (
> sorry, can't remember his name)

Shane :-)

> tells me that "make oldconfig" just
> brings in a preset .config. I allways thought there was some magic
> going on here. That "make oldconfig" would grab some info from the
> running kernel.

I wouldn't call it 'preset', afaik, if you move your existing .config file
into the new source tree it uses those settings, asks questions for new
any options/features.

> There is no magic!
>
> If there is no magic how do I know what modules etc... to place in the
> kernel?
>
> This new guy suggested looking at "lsmod" and making sure all the
> modules listed are in the kernel. If anyone has any other suggestions
> send them my way.
>
> There is also "mkinitrd" to think about. Do I need to run this after
> compiling a kernel? I don't but maybe I should.
>
> If all else fails I could make everything a module.

You don't need an intitrd image for your kernel, this is what mkiitrd
does, as long as you compile all modules needed to boot the box, into the
kernel, file system, ide or scsi drivers ...etc.

--
Greg Madden
Precision Air Balance, Inc.