Re: aklug mirror server

From: Fielder George Dowding <fgdowding@iceworm-enterprises.net>
Date: Fri Dec 16 2005 - 14:01:19 AKST

Boy! It would be great to include MEPIS. I just dumped Ubuntu in favor
of SimplyMEPIS (single cd install) for this friend who "just wants to
get her email". If you all remember, I couldn't get the Gnomish gui to
set the dial-up interface (ppp0) as the default so life would be easy
for her when she booted her laptop (Gateway c.2000). SimplyMEPIS
(combination live cd and installer) found the built-in modem right off.
The KDE gui (KPPP) allowed me to set the parameters, and I was able to
connect through the dial-up with only the typical amount of futzing to
get the device correct (/dev/ttS3) and the login/email (gci) stuff working.

The MEPIS site (.org) has some information on how to setup and get
permission for an official mirror. They are focused on milking the
business cow, but they haven't yet split their distribution the way Red
Hat has (RH and Fedora).

Just a thought. fgd.

Damien Hull wrote:
> Got the aklug mirror server updated. Even got Ubuntu squeezed in there.
> We have 27 gig's left over.
>
> Not sure if the Debain mirror scripts are working. I tried running one
> of them but nothing happened. I think that was user error on my part.
>
> we have the following distributions on the server.
>
> 1. CentOS
> 2. Fedora
> 3. Suse Updates
> 4. Ubuntu
> 5. Debian
> 6. Debian amd64 ( may not be working )
>
> --
> You can get my public PGP key at https://keyserver.pgp.com
---------
 Fielder George Dowding, Chief Iceworm .^. Debian/GNU Linux
dba Iceworm Enterprises, Anchorage, Alaska /v\ "etch" Testing
Since 1976 - Over 25 Years of Service. /( )\ User Number 269482
                                            ^^-^^ "irad" 301256