Re: Mac fs

From: Fielder George Dowding <fgdowding@iceworm-enterprises.net>
Date: Sat Nov 19 2005 - 23:01:50 AKST

Hi Tofu45.

I imagine the drive is already formatted for some flavor of vfat. Linux
will read vfat, so before you do anything, try it on the Mac. If it
works, try it on your Linux box. Even though I like a robust,
journaling, free (as in freedom) file system, I have used thumb drives
with whatever vfat type formatting to transfer files between Windows
boxen and my Linux boxen.

If you do need to partition the usb drive (not recommended I
understand), then cfdisk will do the partitioning, but you will need to
use the formatting utility mkfs (and progeny). There is the badblock
utility and a bunch of other stuff, so Bob, it looks like you have some
man page reading to do. fgd.

Tofu45 wrote:
> I have a usb drive I want to use to back up my wife's Mac OS 9.xx.
> Is there a utility to format the disk: something like cfdisk? Prefer to
> partition part of the disk for her (Mac fs) and part for linux.
>
> That OS seems to read windows floppies ok. What about a vfat type partition?
> If so, which of the cfdisk fs types work best as vfat. There is a bewildering
> array of FATs in there.
>
> Google didn't clarify it for me.
> What experience out there?
>
> Bob Pelz

Fielder George Dowding, Chief Iceworm        .^.   Debian/GNU Linux
dba Iceworm Enterprises, Anchorage, Alaska   /v\   "etch" Testing
Since 1976 - Over 25 Years of Service.      /( )\  User Number 269482
                                            ^^-^^  "irad" 301256