Aklug server

From: <adamb@glaven.org>
Date: Thu Nov 17 2005 - 17:10:47 AKST

While we're on the subject of the aklug server, I have two things to note:

1. For some reason, the server does NOT like DMA mode. Putting the system in DMA mode and trying to transfer a lot of data causes a kernel error. I've tried two different kernels, with the same results. I haven't tried any non-centos kernels yet.

Running the system without dma mode hasn't caused any kernel problems yet, but man is it slow!

2. Trying to mirror debian, centos, fedora, and anything is simply too slow on my connections. I can do about 5G a day if I give it total priority and don't do anything else. BUt, it kills my connection, and since I work from here, it's just no good. IF anyone else here that frequents the meetings has a faster connection (What's this I hear about a 3MBit GCI connection?) that wouldn't mind giving the aklug server a temporary home, I'm sure we'd all be more than glad to let it be borrowed.

I know that there's some email problems goin' on right now, so I won't expect answers too soon.

Adam